Sunday 14 February 2010

Why so angry?

So, why am I angry about this policy?

Let me first say, I acknowledge that we have a problem with control of immigration in the UK. There needs to be an overhaul of the entire system to ensure that the right people are being given asylum and I'm sure there are plenty of folk who come here for economic advancement rather than due to genuine fear of persecution.

That's not really what I'm concerned about here.

The Border Agency currently claim, on their website, that "We now aim to conclude all new asylum applications within six months". This is why, they say, that asylum seekers are not offered permission to work or study, it would stop them integrating so that it's not so hard for them when they are chucked out because they won't have made any ties. And yes, I agree this may be a sensible policy but if, and here is the crux, only if the decision time is indeed under 6 months.

However, the people that I know who are currently under Section 4 support are suffering from a decision-making process that has gone on for years and years and years. These people, despite the Home Office's best efforts, are integrated. They speak the language, their friends are here, they have families here, they are married here, their children are here. Some of the youngest have spent nearly a third of their lives here. Indeed, those young asylum seekers may be able to survive here, know how to rent a house or how to get a job or travel around, and may have no idea how to do that in their home country. The Home Office do not resolve their cases within 6 months and it has lead to this pseudo-imprisonment. Indeed, according to the Section 4 guidance referenced in my previous post, the housing contracts that the Borders Agency signed to house Section 4 clients have recently expired due to the extended length of time taken on decisions and in some cases people are being evicted and being left destitute.

I am not necessarily arguing against the return of asylum seekers to their home country (although I'm sure I could be tempted!); I'm arguing about the return of those people who have been kept waiting so long due to the Home Office's incompetence that they have now made the UK their home. Despite having no real status or rights.

One particular Section 4 asylum seeker I know, on hearing he may be up for Indefinite Leave to Remain, was primarily taken with the fact that he 'would be able to pay taxes' and was keen to start taking care of his new home. 'I would pick up any litter I saw on the streets if I had a passport'! I wonder how long that would last! But the sentiment is clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment